ArabiaWeather has 3 major verticals (B2C, B2B and Core Weather Technology), the CTO’s responsibility is to align on a leadership level with the heads of those verticals and is responsible for ArabiaWeather’s B2B and B2C technology strategy, processes and implementation. As a technology leader, the CTO needs to be able to see at both macro and micro levels simultaneously within the company. The role necessitates a managerial and hands-on approach, with periodic on-call responsibility.
- Report to the CEO as an active part of the senior management team
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately and the organization’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development, service engineering, and quality assurance of products.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all B2B and B2C products.
- Design and maintain a roadmap of projects with the collaboration of Product Management Leaders to meet demanding business objectives, taking advantage of trends and new technology where appropriate.
- Ensure staff, partners, customers, and board understands the business' technological vision.
- Set the departments KPIs and deliver upon them.
- Conducts research to improve and optimize the technological assets of a company
- Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including and not limited to application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services and products.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices.
- Oversees the technical departments budgets to make sure there are no unnecessary expenditures and keep budgets at its and optimizing where possible
- Setup, oversee and establish clear Development Processes and communication processes cross departments
- Researches, Selects/Develops and implements all B2B and B2C product’s internal technical processes such as (Scrum, Agile, Kanban, Lean or others)
- Coordinate with Product Manager leaders to communicate clearly over product requirements and implementation plans
- Coordinate with Business leaders on a clear development and delivery process
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments to assess and recommend technologies that support ArabiaWeather’s products and development needs.
- Collaborate and work with the CIO on developing and delivering clear processes and roadmaps that support the B2B and B2C business
- Responsible for Security and contingency plans for ArabiaWeather’s software products
- Prepare and test disaster recovery plans, and contribute to the broader business continuity plan.
- Develops and directs all safeguards to reduce the risk of outside breaches and protect sensitive internal and external client information.
- Place and enforce system uptime and availability KPI’s
- Leading the product and software development team through people managerial and technical skills
- Lead the development team through a clear development process
- People management to apply company policies
- Manage technical know-how, guidance and training of the team to develop and deliver best results within the products
Knowledge & Experience
- University degree in the field of computer science or computer engineering and another rigorous discipline. An advanced degree in one these fields is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to envision software products and services that meet consumer needs or solve business problems.
- 10 years experience managing product and software application development.
- Hands-on experience coding in more than one currently popular applications and software frameworks.
- Familiar with more than one software development methodology.
- Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications.
- Ability to setup high level and breakdown of software and product architecture.
- Has contributed to one or more open source projects.
- Knowledge of web standards, software and product standards.
- Experience with UNIX system administration and web server configuration.
- Knowledge of Internet protocols and RFC standards, database management systems, and revision control systems.
- Familiarity with technical requirements of Internet marketing and search engine optimization.
- Familiarity with information security vulnerabilities and risk management.
- Familiarity with consumer privacy and payments industry compliance requirements.
- Exposure to business theory, business process development, governance processes, management, budgeting, and administrative operations.
- Proven leadership ability.
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Exceptional service orientation.
- Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
About ArabiaWeather Inc.
ArabiaWeather is the Arab World's first private weather company and the primary source of weather information/content for Arab audiences. Founded in 2010, ArabiaWeather offers its customers high-quality, multilingual weather services.
ArabiaWeather.com (owned by ArabiaWeather Inc.) publishes accurate, localized weather forecasts for thousands of cities and locations across 22 Arab countries, spanning over 350 million inhabitants.
ArabiaWeather owns and runs a regional operational center that is the largest in the Arab world. The center is equipped with the state-of-the-art weather equipment and devices, and includes a team of passionate weather experts. The operation center is connected to the European Organization for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (Eumetsat), which provides live access to satellite data from Meteosat-9 that covers European and MENA regions. The operation center is also linked to numerical weather prediction databases of UK and European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting. Moreover, it is lined to latest weather observations from thousands of weather stations, Arabian and international airports data.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, and qualifications required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.